Monday, February 14, 2011

2-15-11 Metaphors

1. Daily Journal: Tell me about your best friend/ a good friend (Appearance, Personality, Stories that show personality and why you like them).

2. Similes poem is due

3. Lyrics: Peter Beckwith

4. Metaphor Activity

Langston Hughes'
Mother to Son

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

Read "Mother to Son" and answer the following questions.

1. What is the poem about?
2. What is the theme?
3. What does the mother want the son to do?
4. What is the metaphor of the poem?

Write your own poem with a metaphor about life

No comments:

Post a Comment